Refugee crisis - urgent appeal
We have a refugee crisis that has not been since since the Second World War.
Whatever you think are the reasons behind the current crisis we cannot just look away.
Whilst our politicians dither about what to do we in Herne Hill can at least make a small positive difference in our own way.
There is a volunteer organisation set up that are collecting clothing, food and other items to send out to the refugees in Calais called Cal-Aid
This Sunday, the Herne Hill Forum is organising a collection point for clothing, goods and other items that will be sent out via Cal-Aid to help relieve the suffering of the refugees in Calais. It will be at the Herne Hill Community Market, outside the station.
What we badly need:
(list updated 4.00 p.m. 5th Sept)
- SHOES: trainers, wellies or hiking shoes (NO city leather shoes, NO heels)
We need mostly mens shoes (sizes 41-43)
- TENTS (even incomplete), COVERS, TARPAULIN
- JACKETS: size SMALL and MEDIUM only
- TRAVELLING BAGS
- JACKETS (only small or medium, NO wool)
- CANDLES or other lighting implements
- Food (rice, sugar, flour, cooking oil, onions, garlic, ginger, spices, tomatoes in all forms - sauce/paste. NO couscous, NO pasta, NO oatmeal, NO Bulgar)
- Tinned Food: (kidney beans, peas, chickpeas, carrots, green beans, NO pasta)
What we ALWAYS need:
- Tracksuit trousers/Jeans size 28-32
- Leggings/Thermal Tights (female)
- Underwear (must be suitable for menstruation pads for women)
- Sleeping bags/duvets/Blankets/mattresses/sleeping mats
- Wooly Hats/Scarves/Gloves
- Toiletries (soap, shower gel, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, razors, shaving foam, combs). PLEASE NOTE: we no longer require sanitary pads)
- Pots/Pans/gas stoves/plastic plates/cups/kettle (not electric)/cleaning products/sponges
- Plastic bags
- Mobile phones (to facilitate communication with loved ones).
- Books (particularly - English as a second lkanguage, English/French dictionaries)
- Thick plastic sheeting
What we DO NOT need:
- WOMEN and CHILDREN’S CLOTHES or SHOES
Please bring anything you can from the wanted list above to the market between 10.00 a.m. and 4.00 p.m.and help make a difference.
The Herne Hill Forum Team