Olley’s celebrates National Fish & Chip Day with biggest giveaway ever
Olley’s Fish Experience in Herne Hill is celebrating National Fish & Chip Day (Friday 3rd June) by offering all its loyal customers free food and drink.
The takeaway and restaurant will be giving out reward vouchers to everyone that dines in the restaurant or visits the takeaway on National Fish & Chip Day offering either fish and chips for two, a bottle of prosecco, a soft drink, a side of mushy peas or £5 off their next visit.
Harry Niazi, owner of Olley’s comments: “Fish and chips has been around for more than 150 years and still, after all that time, it remains the nation’s number one dish. We’re really excited to be celebrating this on Friday 3rd June with our biggest ever giveaway and involving all our customers in the event. We hope we might even attract a few new fish and chip lovers who, once they taste our food for the first time, will want to keep coming back!”
Asked why he thinks fish and chips has stood the test of time, Harry says: “It’s simple really. Fish and chips is an honest, nutritious, filling meal made using simple ingredients - fish, potatoes and peas - and it still represents fantastic value for money. It also contains fewer calories and fat than any other our fast food, so it’s a treat that everyone can enjoy.”
Olley’s is also on the hunt to find its number one fan and is calling for fish and chip lovers to post a photo of them tucking into a portion of Olley’s finest fish and chips on to the shop’s Twitter or Facebook pages. The best one on the day will win fish and chips for two.
National Fish & Chip Day comes just weeks after Olley’s was named as one of the top 50 fish and chip takeaways in the UK, beating off competition from 10,500 other chippies.
To find out more about Olley’s Fish Experience, visit www.olleys.info or follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Follow National Fish & Chip Day on Twitter using the hashtag #nationalfishandchipday
Top 10 fish and chip facts
- Fish and chips were first served together around 1860 although both the Malin family of London and the Lee's of Mossley, near Manchester, both stake claims to be the first.
- There are around 10,500 fish and chip shops in the UK.
- Cod is the most popular species sold in fish and chip shops, accounting for 61.5% of fish sold. Haddock comes in second at 25%.
- British consumers eat some 382 million portions of fish and chips every year.
- Annual spend on fish and chips in the UK is in the region of £1.2 billion.
- Fish and chips was one of only a few foods not to be rationed during the Second World War.
- During the D-Day landings, British troops would identify other British soldiers by shouting “fish” and waiting for the reply of “chips” to indicate alliance.
- More than half the UK adult population visits a fish and chip shop at least once a month.
- On a Friday in the UK, 20% of meals purchased outside the home are from a fish and chip shop.
- Fish and chip shops sell roughly 25% of all the white fish consumed in the UK and 10% of all potatoes.