Good News for Brockwell Hall Restoration
The plans for the restoration of Brockwell Hall are being finalised for submission to the Lottery in November. Lambeth has identified the match funding needed and if Brockwell Park Community Partners are successful in their bid, then the project will begin next year.
- This new design will allow better access to the Hall than has been possible for decades.
- The cafe will be moved from its present cramped setting to a new position in the Hall to create comfortable seating space, including the Picture Room, with views of the park.
- The lovely small rooms where the cafe is now will offer flexible space for hire, for exhibitions and just for sitting.
- An access ramp and a lift will bring the Hall into compliance with DDA legislation.
- The Stableyard will house a purpose-built event space which will be hireable and will generate income to support the Hall and, we hope, the Park. This proposal is in part a business plan; the Hall should generate enough money to support its maintenance and the staff needed to provide a service.
This plan represents a huge success for the community. BPCP have achieved, with Lambeth, the aims which were spelled out by them in meetings that took place in 2015-16.
Most of what was hoped for: improved access, space for local people to hire for important personal events, and income generation that would not compromise public and community access to the Hall will all be possible. In addition to that, during the ongoing discussions of the Steering Group, BPCP representatives have pressed for a volunteer centre and exhibition space to showcase local art and culture from our diverse communities and many local artists and artisans.
We hope that you will take part in this, final consultation through any of the channels that are now open for comments.
The consultation will run until Thursday 5 November 2020.
Comments can be left on the Lambeth website at: http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/brockwellhallconsultation or on Lambeth's Planning Portal, where all the documents relating to the project will be available to view/download.20/03258/RG3 20/03258/RG3 -
Or you may email firstname.lastname@example.org
Covid regulations permitting, there will be a social distanced presentation/consultation stall by the front entrance to the Hall/Herne Hill gate on Saturday 17th October midday to 2.00pm
There will also be a virtual consultation/drop=in on Wednesday 21st october 6.00-7.00 pm. The link to join the meeting is: meeting
The BPCP officers are hoping to run Covid-safe actual consultations at the end of October. More details in due course.
Image of Brockwell Hall courtesy of BPCP Flickr page