December events and news update
December, being the last month of the year, cannot help but make us think of what is to come.
From 'A Meaningful Life', Fennel Hudson
Trees are being decorated, window dressings are up, lights are glistening and the smell of mulled wine is in the air… it can only mean one thing - an early December Herne Hill newsletter! We hope you can make the most out of all the exciting events happening right here in Herne Hill over the coming weeks.
- Events throughout December
- Clean up for Christmas
- Welcome to the Orchard Project
- Brockwell Passage Opening Celebrations
- London to Paris Cycle support
- Voice your opinions: survey
- West Dulwich train timetable changes
- Ideas for Half Moon Lane
- Herne Hill Group Practice merger
- Call for volunteers - Herne Hill Music Festival
- Herne Hill Forum - highlights of 2016 - thank you!
- More Christmas Day ideas - phew!
Herne Hill Free Film Festival
Sat 3rd Dec - Wed 21st December
The start of a special mini Christmas Herne Hill Free Film festival! For those of you fond of a Christmassy film there’s Love Actually at Rosendale Primary School , It’s A Wonderful Life in All Saints Church , Miracle on 34th Street in Holy Trinity Churchand a even a double screening of Frozen, the sing along version at Effra Space...For Scrooges there’s Bad Santa at Canopy Beer and a few other lovely (but non-Christmassy) films. Check out the full programme. You’ll be pleased to hear that all the screenings are indoors :)
Even more coming up soon
Still want more....?
KinderLaLa toys on Dulwich Rd are taking bookings for Santa’s Grotto on Sunday 11th December.
Very Merry Christmas Sing-a-Long-a-Ding Dong
Whirled Cinema, near Ruskin Park, are hosting an alternative carol service - Christmas karaoke on a mass scale (!) with everyone’s favourite Christmas songs on the big screen. December 6th and 13th from 8pm in aid of War Child.
Construction of the pavilion at Herne Hill Velodrome is full steam ahead, and set to open early 2017. Bring the little ones for a Christmas celebration with balance bikes and mince pies from 9am to 11am on 13th December.
The Florence on Dulwich Rd is hosting a Winter Wonderland in their garden during the evenings of 15th - 19th December.
The Commercial Hotel in Railton Rd are hosting a children’s charity drive through December, and asking guests to donate warm clothing, food and blankets. The drive will culminate on Christmas Jumper Day, 16th December, where Crystal Palace community choir will sing Christmas Carols and money will be raised for Save the Children.
Family friendly festive nature crafts, think pot pourri, pomanders and natural baubles, at Brockwell Park Community Greenhouses, 17th December, 10:30 am - 12:30 pm.
Jay Rayner will be signing copies of his new book at Dugard and Daughters, Milkwood Rd, 18th December 11am -1pm.
Clean up for Christmas
All we want for Christmas is a #CleanHerneHill Some days are diamonds... and some days are rocks. Please help contribute to a sparkling Herne Hill this festive season by reporting... Ask your neighbours and our businesses what they are doing about their waste management, and tell them you’d love them to join the 20 other businesses in the Herne Hill Waste Collective, a group who are subscribing to timed trash collection of which 90% is recycled. It’s making a big impact, and along with council support to deter known culprits, we are…. Share your pics on flickr or use #CleanHerneHill.
Welcome to the Orchard Project
Speaking of diamonds, please welcome to the neighbourhood the newest members of the Herne Hill Waste Collective, the Orchard Project. They are a national charity dedicated to the creation, restoration and celebration of community orchards. Rosa and the team have been busy pressing apples at the Bath Factory Estates, just off Norwood Rd, and in a few month’s time this autumn’s harvest will be transformed into delicious cider. Stay tuned to hear more about local stockists in the coming months.
Brockwell Passage Opening Celebrations
209 St Jude’s Primary School students and local artist Victor Szepessy have transformed Brockwell Passage from a grot spot to lunch spot, with a stencil art mural which signposts and celebrates the neighbouring area.
The ‘Brockwell Passage Picnic Spot’, now complete with it’s own Blue Plaque, neighbourhood corner bench and colourful lanterns was opened to great fanfare by St Jude’s Primary School Head Teacher Miss Alexandra New. Thank you to all the support from The Florence, hosting celebrations, BetFred and our neighbours to help bring this project to life. Check out the gallery of the Passage’s transformation.
London to Paris cycle in support of St Christopher’s Hospice
Voice your opinions
Knowing what locals think is important. Please contribute to this survey looking at the different communities in Herne Hill, the research will help us set the direction for future projects.
Govia Thameslink are proposing cutting direct train services from West Dulwich to Blackfriars. This means more platform congestion and busier trains in Herne Hill. The public consultation closes 8 Dec. Find out more here.
Herne Hill Group Practice Merger
The local NHS GP Practice at 74 Herne Hill (entrance on Kestrel Avenue) are proposing a merger of services with Brixton Water Lane Surgery. Herne Hill Group Practice is calling for feedback and views, as they must submit their proposal by 15 January. Please read their FAQs here or visit their website for more information.
RoadWatch - Lambeth Safer Transport Team
Sgt. Rob Wilkins is advising a growing numbers of volunteers, organised by John Frankland, about the new speed monitoring equipment to help reduce speeding motorists and a potential serious event in the neighbourhood. Want to learn more? Get in touch: Rob.Wilkins@met.pnn.police.uk
The fine folk at Herne Hill Music Festival are looking for some volunteers. Read the details in their newsletter.
Herne Hill Forum Highlights of 2016
What a productive year it’s been, here are some of our big achievements, thank you for your support:
- 'Bundle of Joy' kids clothing sharing
- Lobbying to save the Half Moon Pub and Just Williams toyshop
- Herne Hill Waste Collective launched
- New Piano (and Party!) - crowd-funding campaign exceeds target and Academy plans now underway
- Underpass project secures S106 funds and Network Rail commitment to fund survey work
- Fireplace and bookshelves in station waiting room
- Lobbying with Network Rail re shops in Station Square Shop front and business support scheme launched as part of TW investment
- 'What would draw people to Herne Hill' project with Charter School economics students
- Cigarette butt ballot bin, hopeful return in 2017
- Halloween Party, did you get snapped?
More ideas for Christmas Day
- Don’t forget to book in for the Santa Xmas swim at Brockwell Lido.
- If you’re not quite brave enough to get wet, you can still get moving….Matt James is starting a daily walk at 10am from Brockwell Lido on 25 Dec. "The idea is to improve social cohesion and encourage those who would benefit from exercise to improve their fitness”.
- Why not join in the Christmas festivities at our local pubs and restaurants, many are open Christmas Day and taking bookings now.
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter @hernehillforum or Facebook for all the latest Herne Hill happenings.
Looking forward to a bumper 2017!